Envelope

Envelope

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

December 1, 1926

My Sweetheart,

My usual wonderful hours with you having ended again, I am experiencing a great let down, which usually follows my separation from you. I came back to learn that at least one neighbor would not have been surprised to see you accompany me. And if she knew how I care for you, she would be more surprised still that you did not come with me. I have purposely delayed a little in writing to try to analyze mmy feelings. But after all, I only know that I do love you and that the sooner I can cal you my wife, the better I'll feel.

I have hesitated a little to press you on an early marriage, because as I told you, I have nothing great to offer you. You were kind enough to endorse Bob's "starvation" motto, which seemed to indicate your own willingness to starve. Of course I'm sure that we'll not approach starvation, but we will not for a time be overburdened with wealth. You might know that you have picked a waster, or a careless manager with whom to cast your lot, and it will b e your burden to handle the new firm's finances. What I am trying to say to you, is this. I am leaving the matter entirely to you. If you, after thought, are still ready and willing to marry insignificant me, and I hope that your feelings are still the same, the time is entirely with you. If you desire the event to occur in the near future, yours be the voice to say so. If you feel that we should wait, I will conform to your wishes as to that. Entirely satisfied am I, with my choice. For me the only questions is, can I justifiably ask you to share the little I now have.

I suppose that if we do go ahead soon, the thing to do is to live with the folks. I've heard much of troubles between two families in the same house. I would not anticipate anything of the kind in oujr case, but know that we can always step out if your are dissatisfied. For you are the one to be pleased.

Ted Wilcox, my buddy in the office, yesterday suggested that the sure way to get a raise in salary, was to get married. For he said, "What else could a big-hearted, kind employer do?" We'll not base any great hopes on his suggestion, however, will we?

Dad is still at home with the grippe, but looked and felt much better this A.M.  Mother is well and both are satisfied with my "honey". Oh yes! I was joking with them this morning and told them that the next time I went to Lima, I'd not return alone.  Mother suggested that I ought go before Christmas then, so that you would be in time to go to her missionary meeting with her. That happens during holiday week, and the meeting is to be held at Elsie's house, where she knows you'd want to go . (????)

Do you still care as you did? I love you so much and want you so badly that I'm afraid of myself. You have been so good to me, and I'm still wondering why I can mean anything to you. I find myself hoping, yet hardly expecting that you'll say "soon". I don't want you to do anything against your own inclination. If you want to wait a month, a year, of (Heaven forbid) two years, you must say so, because your own happiness is at stake, and I must be content if you want to delay.Tell me how you feel about it. If you like, and perhaps you ought, talk to Mother Veach. (Though my guess would be that she'll tell you to do what will make you happiest.)

I love you, and Billy or no Billy, I want you. Will you tell Mother how much I enjoyed my visit, and thank her and Sue for their kindness to me?

Andy

The dog has behaved very nicely. Was not ill on the trip, but ate like a gourmand when he got home. He has not cried, but curls up in his box and goes to sleep when he is left alone. He was playful last night for the first time. We'll probably move next week, and I'm going to insist that "our" room be ready first.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment