Envelope

Envelope

Thursday, May 15, 2014

September 5, 1926

Miss Dorothy Veach
Middlepoint, Ohio

Sept. 5, 1926

To the Belle of Middlepoint - Greetings:

I owe you at least one, if no more, apologies, for inexcusable delay in acknowledging your cards. I can't say that I was too busy, for I have been a loafer since my return from the East, except that I have worked a little for the Traction people, to help out. And it was not because I was not glad to hear from you each time, though I was surprised that you would take time to write me. So if you will accept my belated thanks, I'll try to do better next time. It was especially nice of you to remember my birthday, which I survived nicely. If you'll forgive me, I'll try to do better next time. (And what a weak promise that turns out to be).

Helen & H. paid us a fifteen minute call on their way home to Spgfld. Both were very much disappointed with Penn. apparently, and talk as though Mrs. F. would be a very unwilling Pennsylvanian. But yesterday came a letter from C.C., speaking of calls made by the "natives" which may help to cheer up Mrs. F. As for Betty, you know her ability to make friends. But even C.C. spoke of the day when he can be back in Ohio, so we'll all have to keep urging an early return. [1]

The lawyer has not yet found a location, where he can begin to practice (on such as want to be practiced on) (by the way, are you a candidate for practice?) Perhaps in five or six years, some one will recognize his doubtful ability, and deem him worthy of that $50.00 per month, we spoke of once.

I had a great trip, with many more experiences, but I still look forward to our horseback trip across the continent, providing our horse is a Ford or better. The less said about my ability to ride a horse, the better. Bob will remember my early attempts, (and I do not remember ever having ridden since then.)

Now hold your breath! I am about to accept your kind invitation to come to M.P. for a couple of reasons. First, I am curious to see the old place again. And I'd like to see Bob, your mother, and yourself again. Besides all that, I like you & your whole family. And it seems to me that's reason enough. But rather than say arbitrarily, I'll come on such a date, I'd rather have you say when you'd rather have me come, (if at all.) Wouldn't you rather do that at your convenience? (I believe its customary for the lady to name the day.) I'm leaving it at that, anyway.[2]

We have just decided to build a new home in Bexley, just east of Columbus. The contractors are to start work Tuesday a.m. and we are told, we can eat Thanksgiving there. Bexley is just a part of Columbus, really, having all conveniences, but maintaining a separate government as a village. All efforts in the past have failed to annex the town, but sometime I expect annexation will be accomplished. [3]

I suppose your weeks at Louisville were very enjoyable. I know Lulu hated to see you come away. (and who wouldn't.) I am going to investigate, and if you so much as looked at another lawyer down there, you'll hear from me, if I have to sue him for alienation of affections or what not. [4]

By the way, your mother is to play the piano for me if I am as fortunate as to be your guest. My mother has never forgotten Mrs. Veach's playing, and I have often heard her tell of her fine touch. Your mother's daughter once pleaded off on the ground that she did not have music, or that she did not play jazz, or something equally absurd. You'll not escape another time. [5]

Please excuse this writing, and the rambling nature of this note. Remember us all here to all the Veaches, and believe me that includes you.

Andy
_____________________________________________________________________________
[1] "C.C." is Claude Charles Fast (1880-1946) who was married to Dorothy's sister, Laura Ellen Veach Fast ("Mrs.F") (1883-1955). Helen and Betty, mentioned in the same paragraph were their daughters. Claude worked with Andy's father for the Interurban Railroad (The "Traction people") which is how the two families became acquainted, although it was some time before Andy, Jr. and Dottie finally met.  Helen Fast suggested and encouraged their meeting, telling Dottie, "If you don't marry him, I will!"

[2] Dorothy's mother, Almanary Foster Veach (1857-1943) resided on the family farm in Middlepoint until her death in 1943. Her son William Robert Veach ("Bob") lived there until his own death in 1983.

[3] Bexley, Ohio was incorporated as a village in 1908, and became a city in 1932.

[4] Lulu Dayle Veach Schreiber (1891-1962) was Dorothy's sister.

[5] Mrs. Veach's piano, a 1901 Smith & Nixon, still exists and resides in the home of the blogger.
Mrs. Veach and her children.
l to r: Mary Susannah Hire,  Dollye Agnes Ladd, Ralph Raymond Veach, Almanary Foster Veach, Dorothy Mildred White, William Robert Veach, Laura Ellen Fast, Lulu Dayle Schreiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment