Envelope

Envelope

Friday, May 16, 2014

October 5, 1926

My Dot,

Talk about walking on air or riding on snubbers! That's how I ain't felt no ways else but, since your sweet letter came. Its still unbelievable that you even consider me. How lucky I am and how tickled. I've been mooning now for more than a week, and pleasantly the time passed. My Dot - can that be true? I hope that it can be - and soon.

Well, the Fasts came and have gone only too soon for us. I suppose that by the time this letter reaches you, Mrs. F. and Betty will have come to Lima and M.P. You and I, or at least I, have been unjustly accused of being "fast workers".  I told Helen that I'd tell you that she felt that way about you, but she immediately limited her thrust to include only me. But I don't care. I'll take all the blame, especially if with it, fast or slow tho I may be, I can make myself closer to Dot. [1]

I'm glad that the prospector's gold claim is panning out so well. I'm wondering now about last Saturday's business, and how you were able to manage alone. I wouldn't be disloyal, would I, if I hoped that you had to fork over a little more rent last week?

And still it rains and I suppose Bob grows more disgusted as he almost counts the drops. Its tough to get water when you don't need it, and none when it means much. I hope he'll come thru OK. [2]

I came home this evening rather tired. I've been breaking in an agent for the old Traction line which formerly employed me. It's not a hard job, but I must scoot out of town early, put in rather long hours, and spend a draggy day in a very small station waiting for work to do. So really I tire of loafing rather than working. [3]

An arraignment day was held in Criminal Court today. Many prisoners are brought up and their pleas received (mostly not guilty). Then the court assigns attorneys to defend indigent prisoners who are without counsel. My name was handed in with the rest of the cub lawyers in town, but I have not yet heard whether or not I was assigned. There's little more than experience in it for a chap, but that is worth a good deal sometimes. Most of the poor fellows really have no defense, so that almost all that can be done is to plead for mercy for them.

Now don't, I beg of you, let that soap man or the vegetable man or the chap around the corner take "my Dot" away from me before I've finally earned her. Not that I'm afraid, but - I'm miles away and I'm afraid you'll forget me.

Oh yes - Helen also demanded that I show her your letter. She explained that she'd see mine when she got to Lima. I think she has three guesses.

Keep sweet -

All my best
Andy
 _______________________________________________________________________________
[1] "The Fasts" are Dottie's sister, Laura Veach Fast and her husband Claude. Helen and Betty were their daughters.

[2] "Bob" is Dottie's brother William Robert Veach, a farmer.

[3] Andy's father worked with Claude Fast for the Interurban railroad, which ran from Lima, OH to Ft. Wayne, IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment