Envelope

Envelope

Thursday, May 15, 2014

September 28, 1926

1176 E. Mound St., [1]
Columbus, Ohio.
September 28, 1926

Dear Little Candy Queen: 

Even my own tires conspired to keep me from leaving Lima and you. I had the delightful job of changing one on Market St. before I had gotten to Metcalf. For all I know, (and I rather hope its true), you had driven a tack into it, hoping I'd stay. I suppose that would be asking too much, however. You will I think like me better if I never outstay a reasonable welcome.

I had a wet drive most of the way back, but it was a pleasant one, because it was blessed with some delightful memories, and the anticipation of your future favor. Twice I nearly forgot to take curves in the road, but I assure you I arrived here whole.

It was a wonderful weekend I spent with you, Dot. I had a most enjoyable time. You were good beyond my fondest expectations. I cannot yet convince myself that you could be at all interested in me. I want only to try to be worthy of that interest, so that at a future time, not so far distant, I can come to you with something to offer, and hope not to disappoint you. If you feel that you can wait for that time and your interest in me can continue that long, I will be more than happy.

It is unfortunate that we do not live closer to each other. Yet I am rather afraid that were you to see me more often, you might tire of me rapidly. I do not believe that I could see you too often. For are you not a member of the nicest family I know, and are not you the sweetest member of it? Believe me, I had long since fallen in love with the Veach family; I regret only that I had not known you sooner. Dare I hope that I may know you better from now on?

I am hoping that your little venture will continue to thrive as it gave evidence of doing on last Saturday. (I still insist that I like you for your money.) I really believe you have a wonderful opportunity there, and that you will not be disappointed with results. But I had hoped that you could honor us with a return visit, (a dozen of them) and your attitude has seemed to be that you will be tied down there. And to a great extent you will be, since the week end promises to be your best sales period. But let us suppose for instance that you begin to plan now to come to Cols for the Michigan game on Nov 13. Surely you will sooner or later make arrangements for necessary relief occasionally, and that you could reach such an arrangement by that time, seems to be reasonable. I wish that you could see your way clear to do it. I can almost guarantee you that you will enjoy yourself here with us, and I dare to hope that you will decide to come then. (Really that date is not important, so you come, except that during Homecoming at the University, entertainment is at its best in Columbus. For that reason I suggested that date. But whether then, or at another time, make plans to come, please.)

I have instructed Sue & Russ to see that the soap man does not cut me out. I'll try to be nice as I know how, and hope for the best. For I'd hate to lose something as nice as I have just found in you. [2]

May I count on a line from you as you find time? It is our only chance to keep a constant contact, a contact which I hope you are as eager to continue as I am.

My lurking fear of boring you to death causes me to close this letter while much might still be said. Will you tell your Mother and Bob how much I enjoyed seeing them again, and how I congratulate Bob especially on his conquest. The little lady seems very nice indeed. However, I am much better satisfied with a cornfed girl who said I might call her "sweetheart". [3]

"Always"
Andy

P.S. My sister did not write this for me. A. [4]
______________________________________________________________________________

[1] 1176 E. Mound St. is now a used car lot.

[2] Dottie worked, in some capacity, for the F. J. Banta Candy company in Lima, Ohio. (I can report that she always made her own peanut brittle ever after.) Also at Banta was Dottie's brother-in-law Russell L. "Russ" Hire (1894-1968), who would later be county auditor for Allen County, Ohio.  Russell's wife was Mary Susanna "Sue" Veach (1894-1991), Dottie's sister. While working in Lima, Dottie lived with Russ and Sue.

[3] William Robert "Bob" Veach's "conquest" was his fiancee, K______.  They never married, but remained engaged from 1926 until his death in 1983, only living together briefly (and covertly) for practical reasons, during his final illness. K______ came from a prominent family in town, and family gossip contends that she had a family secret that she was afraid would be exposed were they ever to proceed with the marriage.

[4] Andy was an only child and had no sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment