Envelope

Envelope

Saturday, May 24, 2014

November 22, 1926

All Mine,

Its a grand and glorious feelin' to have everybody else as tickled as I am about my good fortune in winning you. That letter of Claude's was right to the point, wasn't it? I'm hoping that I can satisfy you, though, more than I am about others. If I can keep my Dot happy, that'll be enough.

I want to tell you about a certain lecture I had from Mother last night. It came about this way. I took Irene, (the girl next door), who, incidentally, knows about our engagement, to Church, and afterwards to a show. When I returned, Mother was waiting to bawl me out. She insists that I am not to deceive any girl, meaning you; that if I care for you, I'll not have anything to do with other girls out of a crowd. I explained that Irene knew of our engagement; that I had done nothing of which I was ashamed, or of which I would not tell you. That I loved you, and felt nothing more than friendship for any other girl. But I told her that she would not again have occasion to call me down on that score. More than she realizes, I want to keep from doing anything which will make you care less for me, so that you need not fear that I will repeat the offense which to Mother was almost unpardonable. I love you, Dot, and YOU are the one I want. Under the circumstances, I did not think you would object, but as Mother suggests, it will be far better to avoid entanglements. May I say that no girl I have ever known has meant what you do to me; that an early alliance between us, and a long life together, are my greatest hopes for the future.

I have had a very pleasant surprise last Saturday. The new master of my Blue Lodge has asked me to become his Junior Steward, which means that if I perform my duties well, and the Lodge sees fit to continue me in office, that perhaps sometime, I will be honored by election to preside in the Master's chair. It will mean years of faithful work; I have accepted the appointment, and I'll hope that you'll agree that it is an opportunity of which I ought take advantage.

The moving date is now set for about Dec. 1. And my boss has informed me, without my request, that I'll not work at the office on moving day. I'm hoping I can make a sneak up to see my girl before that time, for its a long time between kisses now.

Dad came back with a report about getting kissed "in the store", but after a thorough search, I couldn't find his "store". I'll expect to be treated as well as he, at least. (And I reserve the right to point out to you my "store").

I'm praying for God's blessing on us both, and the He will help me to make myself worthy of you. I'm loving you more every day, and I want to live that you'll care more and more for me.

Always be my Sweetheart -
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment