Envelope

Envelope

Sunday, May 18, 2014

October 20, 1926

My dear,

I've been wondering for several days, what the trouble can be at Lima. I've had no letter for ten days, and I don't know why. Have I done something; have I failed to do something; is my Dot ill? Or did someone forget to mail a note?

We had a letter from Mrs. F. [1] yesterday, and she said that at last report, all of you were well. (I had hoped that the extraction of your tooth ended that trouble). If I do not get some word from Lima very soon, I'll be there to find out why. So if you don't want that to happen, you had better write.

I have been enjoying my work here very much, but I feel very "green" about a large share of it. I have been kept very busy, even to doing a great deal of chasing about during the evening hours. But at least, I am learning a few of the methods of the profession.  The men here in the office are very nice to me, and seem willing to help me as much as they can.

Columbus is again football mad. Ohio State has won three games by large scores, with a Conference game on the boards for next Saturday. In that connection, I am still hopeful that Dot will sit beside me at the Michigan game on the 13th. Is she hoping that, too?

Mother and Dad are in Cincinnati today, for the laying of the cornerstone of the new Masonic Temple. Mother will return tomorrow, while dad goes to Lima. New house is progressing rapidly and on schedule. The candy business, I hope, still continues to go big. (I still insist that I like you for your money.)

Can I persuade you to believe that for a month now, sleeping or waking, I've been catching myself dreaming about you, wondering how I can hold you, how I can keep you interested? Shall it prove true that "absence makes the heart grow fonder", or am I presuming over much, when I dare to wish for you? Don't you dare tell me that I'm reaching for the moon.

I realize that you must have time to get better acquainted with me, to assure yourself that you can and do care. And I want time to prove myself to you. Meanwhile, if we can go on, in the delicious way in which we have started, I'll be more than delighted. You have been wonderful to me, and I am proud to call you "sweetheart".

Write me as you find time, dear. I'm only anxious that neither your own illness, nor that one of your family has prevented a letter this week. Pull every string, won't you, in order to make it to Columbus next week?

I'm waiting now for a reassuring word from you. You know who's sweet.

Andy
________________________________________________________________________________
[1] Mrs. Laura Veach Fast, Dottie's oldest sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment