Envelope

Envelope

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

December 14, 1926

Sweetest,

I realize, I think, how you might have felt when I asked you to "do the act" and assume responsibility in the selection. I beg forgiveness for a possible misconstruction of your letter. Your suggestion was so good, that I did not for a moment think of any other plan than that I suggested by phone, and which you were kind enough to adopt.

I am only sorry that my pocketbook is not more expansive. I hope that the jewel you selected is worthy, in a small measure, of the girl who is to wear it. Except to hope that you have been entirely satisfied with your choice, your "extravagance" has not worried me. Nothing I can ever get for you in the future, I hope, will ever take the place of this little binding tie. But if after a time, we have amassed enough of the "necessary", I can bring fine jewels to my wife, I am sure that she will even then so far out shadow them, as to make them unnoticable.

If, my dear, another jewel please you more, yet you have hesitated to choose it because of its cost, can't we discuss it a little? We are close enough to each other to obviate any necessity for embarrassment of that kind. It is my only desire to please you, and if the selection I have forced upon you has displeased you in any way, I hope that you'll let me at least try to remedy the disappointment.

I have been wondering about the mailing of it. With the Christmas rush on, I am somewhat concerned about that. I am sure, however, that it will be insured, and well packed, as that it ought come through in good shape if sent soon.

It's great to know that you are content to cast your lot with me. And I cannot help but repeat that I want you as soon as possible. I'm planning a great deal on spending Christmas with you, (my first away from my parents.) They know how to keep us both happy, and are calmly reconciled to my absence on that holiday. I must again insist that you start the New Year right, by spending that week end with us, please (Come to stay if you will!)

The new house is fine, though I've been too busy to spend much time in it. I've hardly had time to turn around, the last two days. It's only fair to warn you now, that I'm sometimes doubtful as to when my time's my own. If it isn't work, it's Lodge, or some other demand on my time. (Of course when I have you here, there'll be an added attraction drawing me to the new home, which ought be irresistable.

The pup is growing - taller and fatter - Mother likes him but hates to clean up after him. I think that with a little patience, we can train him so that he'll prove to be an agreeable pet. He's a bright little rascal anyway.

Last Saturday, 900 or thereabouts, of my announcements were mailed. Some 350 went to formal acquaintances of mine. Already some fine acknowledgements, both to me and to Mr. Knepper have come in.  In fact, as a direct result of the card, one old lady phoned the office in my absence, about having a will drawn.

So many complimentary things are said, and so many delightful predictions of success are made, that you might begin to fear that my bump of conceit will swell up and burst. And then, what?

Take care of yourself during this pre-Christmas rush. We'd all rather have your expenses for help increase, than to have you under a physician's care for a breakdown.

Would you like for me to again say that I love you?  It has seemed such a natural state of feeling for me, that I hardly think it necessary to repeat. Your company gives me so much satisfaction - you, in my arms, are the answer to a lifetime of waiting. I claim my right to ask you to do your darndest to make it soon.

(You know if you were here with me, you'd not have to sit up till midnight writing to me. I wouldn't let you!)

Today - Tomorrow - Forever
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment