Envelope

Envelope

Saturday, May 17, 2014

October 13, 1926

Knepper & Wilcox
Attorneys at Law
Columbus, Ohio

October 13, 1926

My Dream Lady,

Just because I use a firm's stationery, is no reason for you to get excited. I can explain everything. Marshall E. Wilcox, a classmate and close friend of mine, is associated with this firm, of which his father is a member. Mr. Wilcox Sr. is very ill, and young Ted, as we call him, has taken him to Mayo Bros. He was good enough to remember me, and as a result, I am now taking his place for the duration of his stay in Minnesota. That may be for a week, or it may be longer.  My work is largely insurance claims investigation (auto insurance). I have found it interesting so far, and I hope it will continue so. [1]

I further have a letter from the Henderson Tire & Rubber Co., who advertised a week or more ago for a young attorney. I am to see them Thursday. What the nature of their proposition will be, I can only guess. If it is at all interesting, and I suit, I might like to try that, too. Of course, if one lines up with a corporation, it means that he works on a salary, his income is fixed and limited, whereas the possibilities of a straight law practice are more doubtful, but unlimited. Believe me, I will not make a decision on the spur of the moment, on any sort of chance that may come.

It seems that should be enough about me. I want to think about my little sweetheart in Lima. I wonder if you know what it means to me, to feel that someone can care. I have in a measure, always walled myself in from female contacts, and to learn that I can be attractive in any girl's eye, not to say in such a wonderful girl's eye, as yours, is almost an overcoming thrill.

I came to Lima because I was interested, but that I should come back leaving my own heart, and having the chance to gain a new one was too much to expect. Gee! but I'm proud of "my girl". When a letter comes, off I steal with it, hoping that herb feelings have not changed, and when I open it to find a breath of you in it, with a story that says "I still can care", "It's a grand and glorious feelin'." And its always a fight when a letter does come. Father likes to tease, so he offers to open it, or he pretends to steal it from me. (He hasn't succeeded yet!)

I am hoping that you will be able to see the Michigan game. Not only am I certain that you will enjoy it, but I know that I want to see you badly, and hold you close again. I am not sure that I'll get to Lima so soon, first because I'm not anxious to make myself a burden and a bore, and second because I've been persuaded to take a Sunday School class, as soon as we go back to our remodeled Church, which ought to be in a week or two. Can you imagine that.

I can understand you and Helen, a little, perhaps. You are nearly of an age, and I suppose all your lives, there has been a comparison drawn between you, by everyone who knew you both. Why should we worry about such comparisons?  I am satisfied, and hope to satisfy you.  I am not ashamed of any letter I wrote you, and anyone who sees them with or without your permission, is welcome if its any of their business. Right? [2]

The new house is coming nicely, and is apparently being kept on schedule. Roof is on, plumbers are roughing in the kitchen pipes, preparing the way for the plasterers. Each day sees more progress, and the contractor still states that we'll be in for Thanksgiving. I hope to see you before then.

Keep sweet for your
Andy
_______________________________________________________________________________
[1] Andy remained with the firm, and eventually became a partner.

[2] Dottie's niece, Helen Fast Howard, was very nearly the same age as Dottie and they had a sisterly relationship growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment