Envelope

Envelope

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

November 3, 1926

Who's Sweet:

Twelve, eleven, ten, nine days until you are to be here. Nine nights to dream of what you'll do and say when I see you, and of what I'll do and say in reply. Never have I been more anxious for a day to come, and sorry I'll be when its past, unless I'm reassured by that time, that you are still most interested in me. You know, you've told me more than once that both Bob and K. are serious. I'll dare you to add that you're serious, too. Will it help for me to say that I am? [1]

You must not let anything stand in the way of you coming. I am expecting you on Friday the 12th, if not in the afternoon, then in the evening. I have thought that you could leave as soon as the store closes, and still get here in a reasonable time. Of course if you can come earlier, all the better. The point is, though you may dislike to ride alone at night, yet, I would advise your coming then, for the reason that the crowds will be coming in all morning on Saturday. Further, you will be able to rest for a hard day, in the morning.  For I intend to keep you busy while you're here, and still kep you for myself a part of the time, (unless you prefer not).

I have a little good news for you. Mr. Knepper advised me last Saturday that my work is satisfactory, and that I am to consider the connection here a little more permanent, than was our original agreement. At the same time, he raised the "ante" just a little, so that there is every inducement to hang on, at least for such an indefinite time as there seems to be no other opening. I am left in a rather doubtful state as to working up a clientele of my own, yet am willing to sacrifice that (such as it is) for the time being, until there is an opportunity for a permanent location. [2]

There has been a sell-out for the game. No more tickets are available, (unless standing room is put on sale on the 13th). Ohio's success so far has brought Columbus back to the frenzied days of '20 and '21. Business is at a standstill whenever the team plays. If they are away from home, thousands accompany them. Other thousands "listen in". It is amusing to walk the streets and see knots of people before the newspaper offices, or some store where a loud speaker is operating, each with is own idea of what is being done or what ought to be done.

I, too, am sorry I've missed the good times at M.P. with you. I've even become very envious of H. & H. and their proximity to Lima. It begins to look like your nephew-to-be (?) might yet decide to be a farmer rather than a school teacher, doesn't it. But I doubt if he would fight thru lean years and discouragements, as you and Mother and Bob have.

You ask about the S.S. class. I may have given you a false impression. To date, the class hasn't bothered me much, for there hasn't been any. You will remember, I told you that we are now in the remodeled Church. But the S.S. rooms are still incomplete, so that there has been no reorganization to date. When that happens, possibly in the next week or two, I will have a class, I suppose. I suggested a class of young ladies, 18-19 years of age, but rather think it is planned to give me boys of 9 or 10. What would you suggest?

Do you have a great deal of trouble reading my hand? If so, you can bring such of my letters along, as you have kept, and I will interpret them (with gestures). [3]

Tell me soon what plans you have for the trip as to when you'll leave, arrive here etc. (You leave your departure toward home to me, depend on it, I'll prolong your stay as much as I can.) Wisdom teeth, blood poisoning and the like are to be left in Lima.

Beat Michigan!
Andy
________________________________________________________________________________
[1] "Bob" is Dottie's brother. He and K. never married, but remained engaged from 1926 until Bob's death in 1983.

[2] Andy remained at the firm and eventually became a partner.

[3] Speaking for myself, I find Andy's handwriting very clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment