Envelope

Envelope

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

January 18, 1927

Dearest,

The more I miss you, the more I want you, and that has been so from the beginning. Happy I'll be on "Easter or before" according as you will decide. I feel about as though we're one now, even though I wouldn't marry you on New Year's Day. I have laughed about a dozen times already about my hurried jump out of the machine to catch the car. How you looked when you grabbed for me with "Say". And when I think of your kisses (business of rolling my eyes)! How wonderful you have been to me.

I was thrilled that you were willing to take me to M.P (Middlepoint, OH) Sunday. That was only another indication that we're together in all things, even to ploughing thru a mile of snow. And how nice it will be to be tied to your family. They're all so "sticky" - whoa! - I mean they stick to each other so well. It was fine of Bob [1] to come for us, and go out of his way to take us back. It must be that he likes one of us at least.

____________I stopped just there to attend a luncheon of the Bar Association.  Judge Kavanagh, of Chicago, [2]  gave a rather interesting talk on crime conditions in the U.S. I started this letter at 11:30 a.m. It is now 10:00 p.m. and I am taking my first free opportunity to finish the letter. If I were making money as fast as I've been getting accident reports, we'd be rich in a little while. I was out all afternoon (after the luncheon) and evening, trying to see various people. Its discouraging sometimes, to go to several different places, yet get to talk to only one witness, but I guess its all part of the game.

I had a dandy letter from an old High School teacher at Cincinnati today. She was very friendly to me as a kid in her classes. Ever since 1914 we have exchanged Christmas cards. And she has even called me by phone, when passing through Cols. She tells me that she spent her summer in England, Scotland and Wales, and immediately I began to wonder if we'll ever be able to go abroad. I've often dreamed about it, and I'm intending to make the dream come true, if possible. We must plan for a belated honeymoon. At the luncheon today, I heard an attorney tell Mr. Knepper, that he had just taken his honeymoon.  He now has a daughter in college. I hope we'll not need to wait that long.

I stopped at the old office yesterday. Mr. Young asked immediately how Dorothy is. The girls and men are anxious to know the wedding day. I truthfully replied "Easter of before". Woe to us if they discern the date beforehand. I would not be surprised if that gang would kidnap one of us, just for the fun of the thing. They all intimate that they owe me something for the "nice" way I treated them. (I did participate in a couple of bellings). Oh, well, we should worry. That won't last long.

Homer told me today that he could not blame you for coming to Cols. since he's here, too. That young man will have to be careful, or I'll tell his wife.

Russ [3] and Bob, trying as they have been, to shake my love for you, have as yet not affected me. You are the one in all the millions around, and you were kept for me. My own unworthiness makes me wonder, often,why you should find me an answer to your love. But since I do know that you care, and how much you care, I have resolved never by word or deed to do anything to merit your displeasure or to cause you to lose faith in me. God willing, I want to be your husband, and an imitator of your splendid example throughout our lives. Love me always, Dot. Believe in me and I'll do my best for you. I love you.

Andy
______________________________________________________________________________
[1] Bob is William Robert Veach, Dottie's brother.

[2] Marcus Kavanagh (1859–1937), was a Cook County judge in Chicago from 1898 to 1935. His wife, Hermine Templeton Kavanagh, was a British writer best known for her series of short stories which served as the basis for the 1959 film Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

[3] Russel M. Hire, Dottie's brother-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment