Envelope

Envelope

Sunday, June 15, 2014

January 6, 1927

My dear sweetheart,

Nice it was to get your letter, but I had hoped that Mr. Wright would buy you out on the spot. I'm glad that there was no trouble about the failure to open as usual, but evidently everyone wants us to keep happy. It would have been too bad, to have had cross words meet you on your return. We did have a wonderful time together, Dot. I was never more proud of you than on last Saturday. You were easily the Queen of the Ball. Several comments have reached me indirectly already upon your good looks, and your beautiful gown. But without those, I knew and I know that I love you. You have been wonderful to me, and the closer I am to you, the more I realize how lucky I have been to win you.

We had letters today from Claude and Laura. [1]  Both seem still to approve our union. Claude even suggests a trip to Harrisburg. (But if you won't go to Louisville, I know you'll not go East.Laura was suffering over the holidays from one of her sick spells, so that imagine the good times were somewhat marred. Claude too, was under the weather.

Dad reports being kissed in the car again! Oy-oy-oy! What will I do? You didn't by chance kiss Mr. Jones by mistake, too, did you? Tonight we had as guests, two girls from the Traction office where I formerly worked. They came, (one of them with her "sweetie", and a cousin) to see the new home. While they were here, we received word that Dad will come in at midnight; so I stayed up to write you, then to meet him and mail your letter. All my old friends are much interested when they learn of our engagement, and every one wants to meet you.  Those who have seen your picture, tell me how pretty you are. I can hardly wait until I can present the original and say, "I want you to know my wife."

It seems that our good friend Elsie does not know you. She realizes that you know her, but denies having seen you before. She took the liberty to call Evelyn Fenker last Sunday to satisfy her curiosity, but Evelyn was too smooth for her, so she's still in the dark. I saw Elsie at Church last night, and was much surprised not to hear any comment from her. This little story which Mother got from Evelyn today seems to explain her failure to congratulate (???) me. You'll have to come again. - Boy! if I could only slip one over on her by introducing you to her as my wife before she learned of our marriage.

To two or three of my girl friends who ask me about our engagement, I cheerfully explain that, being a gentleman, I could not refuse you when you proposed. They have indicated that if they had known that I would do that, they would have proposed long ago. (The little liars.) Anyway, I'm glad you got to me first. Even if Bob and Russ work on me for 3 hours, I'll still have my Dot. Believe it or not - I want her and soon.

Andy
______________________________________________________________________________
[1] Dot's sister, Laura Veach Fast. Laura's husband Claude worked with Andy's father on the Interurban Railroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment